As we have done for over the past 30 years we supported our winter survival program. We began on 12/31/16 with the purchase of 10,000 pounds of shelled corn from Leroy Milling. An additional 5,000 pounds was purchased on 2/7/17 for a total of $1,447. It ended on 2/18/17. We helped to ensure the survival of 2,749 Wild Turkeys over our 13 county chapter area.
- On 12/10/16 attended the MUCC Conservation Policy Board meeting at the Cadillac Sportsman Club. We are represented on the board. Gave a short presentation.
- On 1/4/17 attended a public hearing by the EPA regarding a proposed series of injection wells to mine potash in Osceola County. These do not bode well for the freshwater resource in Osceola County.
- On 2/1/17 we donated $1,000 to Michigan Citizens For Water Conservation. They are trying to prevent Nestle Corporation from damaging our natural resources in Osceola County from their water pumping/bottling business. Currently, they have destroyed the trout fishery on two streams. More on this in the next issue.
- 2/12/17 attended a meeting at the DNR Carl T Johnson center in Cadillac titled “Hunting Works For Michigan”. The theme was how hunting impacts on business. Business thrives because of our natural resources.
- 3/7/17 attended the Michigan Resource Stewards meeting at Clare. 3/24/17 attended a Michigan Citizens For Water Conservation (MCWC) meeting at Mecosta where a number of conservation issues were discussed.
- On 3/25/17 we held a turkey shoot, hunting seminar, dinner and evening program at the VFW in Baldwin. Our raffle drawings were held and a great time was had by all.
- 3/31/17 contributed $250 to the MUCC Youth Camp. On 5/11/17 attended the Natural Resources Commission meeting at Scotville. Testified on the problems with antler point restrictions in the 12 county area, A 5-minute presentation and another wasted day.
- 5/17 & 18 attended Osceola County Rural Education Days at Rose Lake Park near Leroy. Over the two days gave 20 Presentations about Wild Turkeys and other wildlife encountered to 303 4th grade students from the four school districts in Osceola County. At the end of my presentation, they all receive a turkey call.
- 6/6/17 attended the Michigan Resource Stewards meeting in Clare. 7/16/17 attended the MCWC meeting in Big Rapids.
8/15/17 attended the last Michigan Wild Turkey Structured Decision-Making Workshop at the MSU Demmer Center in Lansing.