The following includes actions taken by both the Pere Marquette Chapter and MWTHA.
- On 8/10/15 attended an all day Michigan Wild Turkey Structured Decision Making Workshop at the Michigan State University at East Lansing. This is the first of four meetings of its kind. When all of the meetings are concluded a report will be given.
- On 8/1/15 attended the Michigan Resource Stewards meeting at Jay’s Sporting Goods at Clare. On 9/8/15 attended the State Forest Compartment Reviews for Osceola, Lake, Missauke and Wexford counties at Cadillac. We were the only outside organization to attend. More information on public land management will be forthcoming.
- 9/15/15 attended a Muskegon River Watershed Assembly meeting at Reed City that featured the Hersey River and tributaries. A lot of credit is given to the Assembly for attempting to repair a very bruised and battered river system.
- 9/20/15 attended a MUCC District 13 meeting at Cadillac. Among the items discussed were new bylaws, board structure and officers. MWTHA is a member organization.
- 10/1/15 the PM and Traverse Bay Chapters donated $1,100 towards the purchase of an upgraded Wild Turkey decoy to be shared with DNR Conservation Officers throughout northern Michigan. More on this is carried within this issue.
- 11/7/15 met with DNR Wildlife Division supervisor for the northern lower peninsula, Rex Ainsley, The next three fall hunting regulations are pending. Among the issues discussed we recommended no fall hunting season anywhere in the northern lower peninsula, including the counties of Mecosta, Newaygo and Oceana counties. It is our recommendation that where a fall season is held the opening date be moved from September 15 back to October 15. There is a problem with holding a fall season, where hens are a target on a depleted turkey population. Sound Science?