- On 7/22/10 we attended the Kalkaska state forest compartment reviews. We are still seeing grow a tree-cut a tree but very little wildlife habitat improvement.
- On 7/27/10 we met with the Cadillac DNR district wildlife chief, Larry Visser to discus the spring 2011
turkey hunting regulations.
- The MWTHA state chapter meeting was held on 8/22/10 at Jay’s Sporting Goods in Clare. Nine items were
discussed and consensus was reached on future action.
- On 9/12/10 we attended the Family Fall Festival at the MSU Kettunen Center near Tustin where we presented our Wild Turkey program to 50 people in attendance.
- We met with Russ Masson, DNR Wildlife Division chief at the RAM Center at Higgins Lake on 9/12/10. The meeting lasted for 2 1/2hours. One of the items discussed was the declining turkey population over the northern Lower Peninsula, which is a great concern to our organization. The report on this meeting will appear in the September issue of Turkey Tracks.
- On 10/18/10 we and Bob Jacobson, president of the Michigan Conservation Foundation attended at the DNR Mason Building in Lansing. A public meeting was held with Scientific Certification Systems (SCS) regarding the re certification of forest products from our state forests. Part of the certification process is managing sustainable wildlife habitat. We argued that this is not being done and there should be no certification. In the end it was another wasted day at Lansing. The process turns out to be a sham.
- On 12/1/10 we attended the Michigan Resource Stewards meeting at Clare. There is more professional resource managers gathered than any where else. We hold a position on the Board of Directors.
- On 12/21/10 we held our chapter meeting in Baldwin where we discussed wildlife management issues, planning for our attendance at various expo’s and the initial planning for the upcoming Rendezvous.
- On 1/7/11 a letter was sent to the US Forest Service protesting the possible closure to hunting on some 65,000 acres of semi primitive areas within the Huron-Manistee National Forests. This issue is pending at this time and we will keep an eye as it progresses.
- On 1/15/11 we attended the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) state chapter meeting at Big Rapids. We addressed a rumbling of an initiative to consolidate the current spring hunting areas into one area in the northern Lower Peninsula. Apparently it is a non issue at this time.
- On 1/16/11 we attended the MUCC District 13 meeting at Cadillac. It was suggested that the Dioxin resolution, which was tabled could be brought back to convention.